Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I'm still sore!

This past weekend I helped put on the annual Meeting of the Masters for the Gospel Martial Arts Union www.gmau.org. This is an intense weekend of training were martial artists and masters from all over the world come to Indianapolis, IN to teach and get training with Christian brothers, sisters and teachers. Side Note: Most people hear 'Christian martial arts' and think, wimpy, no backbone, only as a last resort. This is not the case with the GMAU. We had 4 Grandmasters (2 of which are the figure heads of their art form) and a little over a dozen of instructors most being a 5th degree black belt or higher. Back on track: So Friday I arrive and go up to watch the special session for those that arrive early, and then participate in the two hardest classes of the weekend, knowing I was fighting that night in at least one competition. Big mistake, I'm glad I was in the classes but I was dead by that night. The outcome would probably be the same though so I'm glad I went. So we have the triple crown competition on Friday night which consist of Kata, Grappling, and Full Contact fighting. I knew I was doing either the grappling or full contact. I was told to see how I felt after grappling to determine if I would fight in the full contact as well. So I get signed up for grappling and find I'm slated to fight the man that helps me with my training most.... who happened to be the reigning champion. Now I have only been in the martial arts for a little over a year and have been training to fight for about 3 months so going against the reigning champ is kind of intimidating. Now if I had been pitted against someone else I might have gone a little farther but as it was I got beat bad and fast. So after feeling like my teeth were going to pop out I decided I was good to go into the full contact. The man who beat me in grappling won it all so at least I can say I was beat by the champ. Well the full contact came up and I was pitted against a boxer (a golden glove boxer I found out later) and I had spared against him before and knew he hit hard so i knew I would have to take a few punches. He hit me a few times and I went in for the takedown and he just waled on my head, man his fist were fast. Well I don't know if it's a TKO or not cause I I blacked out and went down but was conscious and was able to tap. So I was out in the first round of both but was later told it was what I needed. So the inside of my lip is still cut(from getting hit on the mouth and cut on the mouth guard) it hurts like the dickens and I have a few bruses but over all I'm better and ready to start training again.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you are the man! A proud sister over here on the other side of the world :^)

10/15/2008 4:55 AM  
Blogger The Godfather said...

I lost in the first round of both competitions, not much to be proud of.

10/15/2008 9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home